The Tower Bridge was built between 1886 and 1894 and then was opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales, and now is a classical image of London. The bridge crosses the River Thames and is a bascule(movable bridge) and suspension bridge engineered by Sir John Wolfe Barry and Sir Horace Jones who was the architect. It is one of the five London bridges that are owned and maintained by the Bridge House Estates.
The bridge deck is accessible and free to pedestrians and vehicles but to see the towers and Victorian engine rooms a charge is required.
The Tower Bridge consists of two bridge towers that are tied together at the upper level by two horizontal walkways which allow the bridge to lift when ships pass through, by the motion of the bascule pivots which are found at the vase of each tower along with the operating machine.
- 44 days from now, August 17, 2022, Tower Bridge celebrate 532nd Mercury age
- 120 days from now, November 1, 2022, Tower Bridge celebrate exactly 1540 months
- 132 days from now, November 13, 2022, Tower Bridge celebrate 533rd Mercury age
- 145 days from now, November 26, 2022, Tower Bridge celebrate exactly 6,700 weeks
- 179 days from now, December 29, 2022, Tower Bridge celebrate 129th half birthday
- 207 days from now, January 27, 2023, Tower Bridge celebrate 209th Venus age
- 220 days from now, February 9, 2023, Tower Bridge celebrate 534th Mercury age
- 245 days from now, March 6, 2023, Tower Bridge celebrate exactly 47,000 days
- 308 days from now, May 8, 2023, Tower Bridge celebrate 535th Mercury age
- 328 days from now, May 28, 2023, Tower Bridge celebrate exactly 1,130,000 hours